Special Occasion Speech - Writing Tips, and Examples
Special occasion speeches are exciting and entertaining, but the speech writing process can still cause you trouble. While writing a speech for any special occasion, you need to know the exact purpose of the event because they revolve around the function of the event.
This particular guide will help you understand all types of special occasion speeches and how to write them correctly.
Special Occasion Speech
Special occasion speeches are the type of speeches given to mark the significance of a specific event. The particular events include a wedding, a birthday party, graduation ceremony, funeral, farewell, award ceremony, etc. These speeches are brief and specific to the event. Some special occasion speeches are informative, and some might be inspirational.
Purpose of Special Occasion Speech
Special occasion speeches are given on some special occasions according to the context of the event. For example, a toast is given at a wedding, and a eulogy is delivered at a funeral. Hence the purpose of a special occasion speech is determined according to the event.
These speeches use pathos to persuade a group of people by appealing to their emotions. Pathos may be intended to make the audience laugh or make them reflect at a memorial service.
Types of Special Occasion Speech
There are many events, and each event has a particular type of speech to be delivered. People show their gratitude, appreciation, condolence through their speeches. As the list of events grows, the list of speeches grows simultaneously.
The list of special occasion speeches is very long, so for simplicity, we have grouped them into two different categories:
- Ceremonial Speaking
- Inspirational Speaking
Ceremonial speeches are given at ceremonies by the observance of formality and decorum. The ceremonies are special occasions that people arrange to celebrate something. There are eight common types of ceremonial speaking. Let's examine them one by one.
Speech of Introduction
An introduction speech is a mini-speech given by the host of an event to introduce the upcoming speaker. This speech is very precise and short, given only to familiarize the audience with the speaker going to deliver a speech.
A good introduction speech could be like:
“Have you watched Marrie Jhonson’s recent interview about depression? She has done tremendous research on the causes of depression and how the United States people deal with depression. You need to listen to her because she has some incredible facts to share about depression.”
This introduction has creatively introduced the speaker and her topic while making the audience interested in her speech.
The speech of acceptance is given by a person who has just received an award, a prize, or an honor. The speaker usually starts by thanking everyone and ends with expressing appreciation. The speech of acceptance basically has three main components:
- A special thanks to the prize or award giver.
- Other special thanks to those who have helped in achieving the goal
- The prize or the award needs to be put into perspective.
When you prepare for an acceptance speech, you need to think of the people you want to thank. List down their names in an order you want to thank them. Take a look at the acceptance speech example given below:
The presentation speech is given while presenting an award, prize, or honor. The basic purpose of the presentation speech is to recognize the person’s accomplishments about the honor or award. These speeches provide the following components:
- Highlights the award’s significance that is being given
- Highlights the merits of the award recipient
- Enhance the credibility of the award and the event by personalizing the speech
Have a look at the following presentation speech example and learn to make the award/prize and the person being honored center of the attention.
Speech of dedication is delivered to dedicate something to someone. It is usually given at an inauguration ceremony, a building named after someone, a new shop opens, and so on.
The dedication speeches are intended to highlight the importance of a project and to whom it has been dedicated. When preparing for a dedication speech, you need to consider the following factors:
- How you are involved in the dedication
- Explain what is being dedicated
- Explain who was involved in the project
- Explain the importance of the project
Here is a dedication speech example for you.
A toast is a kind of brief tribute to a particular person or a specific event. It is designed to appreciate and congratulate the people being toasted. It allows the speaker to recognize the person’s achievements and give the best wishes for the future.
While delivering a toast, keep these key points in mind:
- Keep it brief and specific to the event.
- Focus attention on the person being toasted
- Avoid any inside joke which is not accessible for all the audience as toasts are public.
- End the toast by praising the person being toasted
Check out this amazing toast example.
A roast is an interesting and funny speech because it is designed to praise and humorously insult the person being toasted. It is usually delivered at the end of a banquet to honor a person's life achievements.
Follow these tips to write an interesting toast:
- Think about the person who is being roasted.
- Look for any amusing story or a strange habit of the person being roasted.
- Poke fun at them but avoid massacre the specific person.
- Avoid the things that are truly private or might hurt the specific person’s emotions.
- Choose the jokes and stories that work best with all of the audience.
- Make your speech as humorous as possible.
- Leave with a positive note and appreciate the person.
Make sure you follow all these tips so that you can easily write an amazing toast.
A eulogy speech is a special occasion speech given in honor of a person who has died. It is delivered to pay tribute to the departed soul. It is given by the priest, imam, or any other religious leader.
When preparing a eulogy, the speaker needs to do the following things:
- Get a lot of information about the departed soul. It will help to personalize the eulogy.
- Remind the audience about the deceased person and his/her life achievements
- Tell the deceased’s story.
- Celebrate the deceased’s life and mourn their death
Look at the eulogy speech format in this eulogy example.
It allows you to say goodby to a current part of your life as you are moving to another part. The speeches are very common at college and university farewell parties. The graduating class says farewell to the institute as they are moving forward.
The goal of the farewell speech is to thank and appreciate the people who are currently a part of your life. As you move forward to the next position, pay tribute to the people who have helped you achieve your goals. A farewell speech gives you a chance to commemorate and remember the good time you have had.
Here is a farewell speech example for you.
After Dinner Speech
After-dinner speech is directed towards a specific group. It aims to entertain yet inform the audience about a particular issue. They are quite tricky because of their dual role, but with practice, anyone can deliver an effective speech.
As the name suggests, these speeches are delivered at dinners after when they are done. A dinner speaker makes a serious point by efficiently using humor to make a significant mark on the audience and occasion.
The goal of the inspirational speech is to inspire the audience to believe something or act upon something. It aims to inspire the audience to take a particular action regarding personal or professional growth.
There are two types of inspirational speeches. Let's review each of them.
Goodwill speeches are delivered to build a goodwill relationship with the audience. These speeches seek to introduce an entity or a person to another group, organization, or country. These speeches are informative as well as persuasive in nature.
There are three types of goodwill speeches:
- Public Relations Speech - intended to enhance the speaker’s or the organization’s image.
- Justification Speech - attempts to defend why a particular action has taken or will be taken.
- Speech of Apology - given to accept the mistake, apologize, and ask the audience for forgiveness.
All of the goodwill speeches not just inform the audience but attempt to persuade them at the same time.
Commencement or commemorative speeches are usually given at graduation ceremonies during which the degrees are being awarded to the students. It is a kind of celebration that marks an important milestone in graduates’ lives. It is usually given by a well-known person who is recognized by many i.e. the president of the country.
The commemorative speech has these basic components:
- Highlight the importance of the day in the graduates’ lives
- Count the accomplishments of the graduating class
- Gives best wishes for the future endeavor
- Put the light on future goals.
Here we have a good commemorative speech example for you.
How to Write a Special Occasion Speech?
It is a well-known fact that there is no universal recipe for writing a perfect special occasion speech, yet we want to provide you the basic process that keeps you inspired. Here is the step by step process of writing a special occasion speech:
Special Occasion Speech Outline
The special occasion speech outline is the same for all types of speeches. It has three main components: introduction, body, and conclusion. The outline is the same for every type of speech; the difference is the content it contains.
Consider the Special Occasion
As there are eight basic types of special occasion speeches, you need to consider the occasion for which you are preparing your speech. Each type of speech contains different content that is specific to the event.
Special Occasion Speech Introduction
No matter what type of special occasion speech you are giving, the introduction needs to be compelling enough that grabs the audience’s attention immediately. Below are the steps you can follow to write the introduction:
- Grab the audience's attention by telling some interesting facts specific to the event you are delivering a speech for.
- A thesis statement tells the main purpose of your speech.
- Preview the key points of your speech and transition to the body section
Special Occasion Speech Body
In the body section, you are allowed to talk about the topic in detail. Present the supporting evidence that enhances the credibility of your thesis statement. Share all the necessary information required to convey the complete message.
The body section could be longer, and it could be short. It all depends on the type of speech you are giving and the time you get to deliver your speech’s content.
Special Occasion Speech Conclusion
The conclusion is where you wrap things up. Summarize all of your main points here and close the speech with a compelling message.
Special Occasion Speech Topics
As special occasion speeches are event-oriented, you might know about the topic already. Yet, it’s essential to ensure that you choose the best idea and turn it into a memorable talk.
Here are some amazing special occasion speech ideas for you:
- Prepare a eulogy for a famous person and remind the audience about his accomplishments.
- Give a maid of honor toast at your best friend’s wedding.
- Deliver an acceptance speech for winning an award.
- Present an employee of the year award.
- Give a roast when your best friend is leaving the organization.
- Deliver a keynote address at a company’s annual convention.
- Deliver the best man speech to a wedding couple
- Deliver a commemorative speech to mark an essential milestone in graduates’ lives.
- Give a good introduction to the new president of the United States.
- Prepare a farewell speech for your exit party.
Special Occasion Speech Examples
Check out these amazing special occasion speech samples and see how amazing they are written. You can also take help from speech examples to write your speech.
Award Acceptance Special Occasion Speech Example
Farewell Special Occasion Speech Example
Special Occasion Introduction Speech Example
Graduation Speech Example for College Students
Writing a good speech that is specific to the event and the audience is somehow tricky. But you don’t have to worry anymore, as our expert writers are here to help.
MyPerfectWords.com is a custom essay writing service that provides top-notch special occasion speeches at cheap prices. Buy speeches from us that are tailored to your specific needs.
Place your order now and forget the worries of writing a good speech.