Presentation Speech - An Ultimate Writing Guide
Speech writing is a form of creative writing where the writer’s ability to think and write creatively is demonstrated. The essence of any piece of work is in its content. In a speech, the content and the deliverance of the speech play an equally important part in the overall success.
Speeches are delivered on many occasions, making the events even more memorable and meaningful. There are several types of speech, and each style has its importance.
Whether you are to write a simple presentation speech or an emotional commemorative speech, it is essential to know the basics. With this guide, you will learn to draft a perfect presentation speech to impress the audience.
Presentation Speech Definition
Presentation speech is a form of speech intended to persuade, inform, and explain to the audience about a topic. Unlike other speech types, presentation speech is purely informative, motivational, and persuasive.
There are multiple purposes for which a presentation speech is written.
- If the purpose of your presentation speech is to inform the listeners about something, share information that is new. It is to make the audience advance their knowledge about a topic, concept, or idea.
- If the purpose of your speech presentation is to persuade the audience, provide facts and strong material. Try to convince them to behave in a certain way.
- If your presentation speech’s sole purpose is to entertain the audience, the content should be amusing and appealing. For this objective, your address is not bound to just having a set of facts and stats only.
Writing a presentation speech requires a writer to have a firm command over the topic. The stronger the grip over the topic, the better you will explain it to the audience.
If you are to write a presentation speech, continue reading to learn where to take the start.
Presentation Speech Outline
If you have ever sat through a presentation, you will remember it if it was inspiring or you learned new things. It is because the presentation was well structured and outlined.
To write your presentation speech successfully, you must follow a proper outline. Developing a strategy is the first thing when writing a presentation speech.
Like in other forms of writing, your information needs to be divided into an understandable pattern for the presentation.
Create your outline in the following parts to make your presentation attractive for the listeners:
The writer should have an idea of dividing the information into the three sections correctly. It is important to decide the opening of the speech and how it will proceed towards the end.
Although the information will be in three sections, a smooth transition will connect all the areas. It will be done using appropriate transition words and ideas.
Forming an outline is not just for the readers. It will help the writer to write and deliver the topic in a focused way as well.
How to Start a Presentation Speech?
How to open a presentation speech effectively? Writing and delivering a speech both have equal importance. Just like strong content is important, the presentation of that content is significant as well. Half of the essence of the speech is in the way it is delivered.
A presentation speech is started by giving a self-introduction to fellow students or the audience in general. The speaker greets the audience and then introduces himself/herself. It is to provide credibility about the information that is to be shared further in the speech.
Make sure to keep your introduction short and direct. If you take 20 minutes to introduce yourself, you might lose the audience’s interest in your speech. So keep the wordings clear and short.
Depending on the audience and place, a presentation speech can be opened using different techniques.
- Providing a shocking or unique information
- Asking your audience to imagine a situation related to the topic
- Using a quote or a phrase
- Telling a story or highlighting a historical event
- Sharing personal experiences and incidents
- Identifying and directly sharing the problems faced by the audience
- Using a video clip or a documentary
- Providing statistics or facts
How to Write a Presentation Speech?
There are no pre-defined boundaries or rules when it comes to writing a presentation speech. But there are some fundamental writing steps that help you prepare an effective speech.
Following are the steps involved in the writing process of a presentation speech:
- 1. Determine the Audience - The first step in the writing process is to identify the audience. Whether you are writing a speech for academics or an official meeting, knowing the audience is essential.
Identify who you are writing your speech for and what they are looking for in the speech. Make sure to understand them and solve their queries. Identifying the audience will let you decide on your speech’s tone and how to structure the content.
- 2. Choose a Topic - Usually, for a presentation speech, the topic is pre-decided and is assigned by your instructor or boss. If you have been given a topic, start gathering information. If not, think of exciting topic ideas and identify if your audience will be interested in learning.
The objective of a presentation is to advance the audience’s knowledge about a certain topic. Pick a topic that you can explain and make the audience understand easily.
While selecting a topic, make sure that you do not choose an extensive topic. The ideal issue will be direct, with a defined subject, and with no vague information.
- 3. Research and Gather Information - Once you have the right topic in hand for your presentation, start gathering information. Research about your issue and collect data that best reflects your topic. Pay attention to the logical and relevant information that you come across.
When researching for information, make sure to consult credible sources. Presentation speeches carry factual and logical information. So it is very important to gather authentic information for the content.
- 4. Write Using the Outline - Now that you have enough material for writing the content of your speech, start writing. The first section is the introduction section. Include the following elements in your presentation speech introduction :
- A hook statement to grab the audience’s attention to the speech
- General introduction of the topic
- A brief explanation of the topic area
- Challenges or issues of the topic
- Purpose of the presentation
- The main point of discussion of the topic
Following the introduction comes the body of the speech where all the explanation on the topic is provided. Write down this section by giving the central ideas and points in different paragraphs along with reasons and examples.
All the paragraphs in the body section should be appropriately aligned. Make sure they are transitioned to make the speech easier for the audience to understand.
To give closure to your presentation speech, highlight the presentation’s goal again, and state how it is justified. Provide a summary of the major points and their implications. Depending on the topic, a writer can also indicate a call to action.
- 5. Check What You Have Written - After writing your presentation speech, revise it to check for any mistakes or errors. In order to observe the effectiveness of your speech, read and analyze it thoroughly.
Check if the tone and words are appropriate and understandable. Practice your speech before presenting it in front of the audience to have a strong command of it.
How to End a Presentation Speech?
Depending on the topic, a speech can be concluded in the following way:
- Give a Summary - Provide a summary of all the key points in the content. Briefly summarize the ideas into three or four sentences and refer the audience back to the purpose.
- Restate the Main Idea - Highlight the main idea in the conclusion section. It is to emphasize the significant theme and purpose of the presentation.
- Call to Action - Some speeches are meant to persuade the audience and make them behave in a particular way. For this purpose, provide a call-to-action and justify how it is suitable to deal with the issue.
- End with A Quotation - Another technique is to use a quotation related to the presentation’s theme and topic.
- Throw A Rhetorical Question - According to this, leave your audience with something that is thought-provoking. State a question without answering it and leave the audience to imagine.
After summing up your discussion about the topic, conclude your speech by inviting questions from the audience. Thank your audience and appreciate them for being with you and ask if they have any queries.
No matter what type of presentation speech it is, there is always room for questions in the end. This will add a personal element to your presentation, making it more effective. Most speakers properly design their Q&A sessions to make sure that the audience understands the topic.
Presentation Speech Example
Taking help from good and structured presentation speeches will allow you to write and deliver the address smoothly. To keep your audience members engaged in your public speaking, make sure that it has all the required elements.
These examples of presentation speeches will help you write the most balanced and persuasive speech.
Sample Presentation Speech
Presentation Speech Template
Presentation Speech Topics
A strong topic will make your entire presentation speech impactful. If you want to leave an impression on the audience, choose an interesting topic.
To help our students decide on the topic, a list of compelling speech topics is provided below:
- Why is adopting a pet from a shelter better?
- Dogs that make better pets for children
- Why should the public and private schools follow the same curriculum?
- Why should there be a filter on using social media for teenagers?
- Significance of China’s one-child policy
- How to prevent cyberbullying?
- How to get a student loan?
- Impact of eating fast food on health
- Pros and cons of a vegan diet
- Causes and effects of dehydration
Pick the best topic for your speech and write effective content to persuade the audience.
Tips to Make Your Presentation Speech Effective
People always look for ways to make their presentation speeches informative and impressive. MyPerfectWords.com has gathered some professional tips that can be followed to make the presentations effective.
Follow the tips and tricks provided below to make an effective presentation speech:
- Choose an interesting topic.
- Create a strong and a clear outline
- Research profoundly and only gather credible information.
- Use an interactive tone to present the topic and keep the audience engaged.
- Do not use difficult vocabulary
- Stay focused and avoid wandering
- Use short sentences to communicate messages and points.
- Use an appropriate PowerPoint presentation layout.
- Avoid reading the points and be natural.
- Use visual aids to make the audience better understand the concept.
- Make eye contact with the audience while addressing.
- Dress formally and act enthusiastic
Writing a great presentation speech is not a difficult task if the planning and outlining are done rightly. Because of this, the gathering and writing process of the content becomes simpler. Following the tips and steps mentioned here will help you impress the audience by delivering the most impressive presentation speech.
If you still need help, ask for professional assistance online. MyPerfectWords.com is an essay writing company that provides high-quality service for all academic assignments. Whether you have a speech or a research paper to write, come to us. We have a team of expert writers to help you with all your writing needs.
Place your order now and buy a speech at affordable rates.