Thesis Introduction: Step by Step Guide With Examples
For most students, getting started with the thesis introduction chapter is the scariest part. It is because they are often not clear about the elements that should be included to make it interesting. As it is the first section in thesis writing. Thus, it must be engaging enough for the readers.
Similarly, if you are facing trouble putting together a good introduction, it is better to start with a placeholder. However, this section doesn’t have to be the first thing that you should write. In fact, it is usually the very last thing to be completed by the writers.
If you feel stuck at the point where you have no idea how to start, this detailed guide can help. Here are some of the standard moves to help you learn how to make a thesis introduction with samples.
What Is A Thesis Introduction?
The introduction is the first chapter of your thesis paper. It narrows down a broad subject and directs its focus to a specific point.
Similarly, it also serves as a mind map that highlights the main theme, writing styles, and the supporting points. These aspects set the stage for the writing process.
Moreover, a thesis introduction paragraph comes after the table of contents and provides a broader context of the research. Remember, a strong beginning is important to grab the reader’s attention.
The following are the major elements that must be included in an introduction.
- Topic and Context – What points a reader should know to understand the thesis?
- Focus and Scope – What aspects of the topic will be addressed? It can be research gaps, questions, and problems.
- Relevance and Importance – How does the research work will contribute to the existing work on the topic?
- Questions and Objectives – What are the main objectives of the research work and how they can be achieved?
- Overview of the Structure – How each chapter of the thesis will contribute to the overall objectives?
Thesis Introduction Length
The introduction of your thesis paper makes up roughly 10% of your total word count. Therefore, a PhD thesis introduction would be 8000 - 10000 words. However, a Master's thesis would be 1500 - 2000 words long.
Although the length can be increased if the writer includes any images or diagrams along with its description.
Thesis Introduction Outline
A thesis introduction outline follows the structure given below.
- Start with an attention-grabbing hook statement.
- Introduce the topic to the audience through a general statement.
- Describe the problem statement and the main hypothesis.
- State your main argument with the help of a thesis statement.
- Mention the research questions along with the objectives.
- Discuss the significance and the contribution of the research to the existing literature.
- State the research limitations if there are any.
- Conclude your introduction paragraph by connecting all the ideas logically.
Have a look at the following template to get a better understanding of the thesis introduction structure.
Introduction Thesis Template (PDF)
How To Start A Thesis Introduction?
To start a thesis introduction perfectly, follow the below steps.
- Choose a topic
- Brainstorm and research the content
- Select the type of paper
- Know the target audience
- Organize the ideas
- Define the subject and relevant themes
The steps to start the introduction of a thesis are discussed below in detail.
Choose A Topic
The first step to start a thesis introduction is by choosing an interesting topic. It should be introduced and defined well for the readers to understand.
You can also choose unique ideas from our compiled list of thesis topics.
Brainstorm and Research The Content
Brainstorm different ideas and information related to your topic. Research the content by going through previous literature regarding your subject. It will help you get maximum grip on the thesis.
Select The Type of Paper
Select the type of paper you are comfortable with incorporating in the writing process. Remember, the text should never be in the first person.
Also, do not add irrelevant details and be precise by using accurate vocabulary and grammar. Such strong words while writing a thesis will help you describe the research aims.
Know The Target Audience
It is better to know the target audience that you are addressing. Similarly, the work techniques, processes, and literature must be introduced according to your audience.
Organize The Ideas
Organize and compile the main arguments, ideas, and claims in the next step. These thoughts will be helpful to describe and present the thesis statement.
Define The Subject and Relevant Themes
Define the subject and the relevant themes before starting your thesis introduction. It would become easier for the reader to skim and get a good idea by going through it.
How To Write A Thesis Introduction?
To write a thesis introduction, we have mentioned a step by step guide for you to follow.
- Hook the reader’s interest
- Identify the research gap
- State the background information
- Back your topic with relevant literature
- Mention the hypothesis
- Provide significance of your research
- Outline the research questions
- State research objectives
- Create an outline
- Discuss the research methodology
The detailed description of the steps to write a thesis introduction is given below.
Hook The Reader’s Interest
A writer should begin writing the introduction with a hook statement to draw the reader’s interest. It can be a question, quotation, or interesting transitions into your arguments.
Also, make a list of interesting current events or controversies related to your topic. It will help in creating a strong thesis statement.
Identify The Research Gap
Review and evaluate the existing literature critically. It will help the researcher in finding and addressing the research gap to write a befitting introduction.
State The Background Information
A good introduction of the thesis always states the historical background of the chosen topic. It is usually cited in the first paragraph and shows the current position of the subject.
Back Your Topic With Relevant Literature
The introduction is a mix of previous researches and literature review. Thus, the topic should be backed with relevant resources.
It is also used to explain the context and significance of previous studies. Moreover, it further acknowledges credible sources of information to solidify your claim.
Mention The Hypothesis
Formulate a hypothesis of your research work. It will discuss what you aim to achieve along with the possibilities.
Provide Significance of Your Research
The gap will help to evaluate the situation and explain the significance of the current research. Thus, add the purpose of your paper explaining why the research is done. It will also demonstrate the possible contributions of the research work in the future.
Outline The Research Questions
The next step is to outline and compose your research questions. These should be related and relevant to the purpose of your study. Moreover, it will also help you discuss the problems that you seek to address.
State Research Objectives
State the research aims and objectives to define the main purpose of the work. It should give a direction to the research by providing an overview of what it is aiming to achieve.
Create An Outline
Create a well-structured outline to organize and compile the ideas. Also, include a table of contents at the beginning of your thesis. It serves as a mind map to discuss the layout of your thesis proposal.
Discuss The Research Methodology
The last step is to define the terms and methodology you are going to apply in your research. It is a good technique to make your research authentic, credible, and useful.
Thesis Introduction Writing Tips
The following are some writing tips to help you draft perfect thesis introductions.
- The thesis introduction requires you to identify and define your parameters of research.
- Provide enough data to support your arguments.
- The topic must define the territory for the thesis introduction along with its terms and scope.
- Establish a niche by narrowing the claims that you will be discussing in your thesis body.
- A good introduction defines the direction and purpose. It will guide the reader to determine which approach the writer should adopt for further exploration.
- It contains background information to give a strong foundation to your thesis.
- The introduction must introduce the current research by stating hypotheses, research questions, and objectives.
- The content of the introduction should be original and plagiarism free.
- It must follow a coherent thesis format and provide concise information.
- Do not use technical language as it will leave the reader confused.
Thesis Introduction Examples
Here is a sample thesis introduction paragraph to help you compose perfect introductions.
Thesis Introduction Sample (PDF)
Thesis Introduction Example (PDF)
Study Habits Thesis Introduction (PDF)
School Canteen Thesis Introduction (PDF)
Get Thesis Writing Help From Professional Writers
We know thesis introductions are challenging. Students often spend too much time writing it. If you are also confused about how to write a thesis introduction. Then it is better to consult our academic writing service to help you construct successful introductions.
MyPerfectWords.com is the best writing service available online. The professional writers have years of experience in writing a dissertation and high-quality MS thesis. Thus. they guarantee to compose an interesting and plagiarism-free introduction for your thesis.
You can also buy a thesis from us at budget-friendly rates. We will try our best to deliver your work within the given deadline.
All you have to do is contact one of our writers to discuss your thesis paper. Place your order now to get a well-crafted assignment in no time.