The Ultimate Guide to Argumentative Essay Writing
Argumentative essay writing needs more than just a personal opinion. It requires you to present evidence and facts to support a claim. It should also be structured properly, as the strongest evidence won’t convince the reader if it is not structured correctly.
Learn how to craft a perfect argumentative essay in this simple step by step guide.
Argumentative Essay Definition
An argumentative essay is a genre of essay in which the writer takes a strong stance on an issue to convince the reader and win them over to their ideology.
It is similar to a persuasive essay; the only difference is, it is based on logic and evidence. Whereas, a persuasive essay is based on the writer’s emotions and personal opinion.
Argumentative Essay Topics
Choosing a topic for an argumentative essay is way more complicated than choosing a topic for any other essay. To get enough material to write about, your topic should be
Here are some good argumentative essay topics to help you get started:
- Coronavirus is more of a blessing for the earth than a curse.
- Human being are more dangerous for mother earth than any other creature
- Most of the people can work from home
- Social media have caused social distancing
- Single parents can't do the same upbringing of kids as both parents do.
Argumentative Essay Structure
An argumentative essay format follows these three major models:
In the classical model, the writer tries to convince the reader with his/her side of the argument. The writer discusses both sides of the argument and then presents the evidence to support his claim.
How To Write An Argumentative Essay
Argumentative essays are the most common type of essays for High School and College students. They require strong critical thinking skills and an ability to analyze a topic at a deeper level.
Here is a step by step guide on how to start an argumentative essay:
Argumentative Essay Outline
An outline is an essential part of any essay assignment. The most common argumentative essay outline format is:
- Body Paragraphs
- Counter Argument
Argumentative Essay Introduction
An argumentative essay introduction clearly states the writer’s claim that he will make in the essay. The introductory paragraph should be logical, intellectual, and should be written persuasively.
Here are three steps you can follow to write a very persuasive argumentative essay introduction:
- Start with a hook: Begin your introduction paragraph with a strong hook that gives the reader a hint about your argument.
- Give background information: Provide brief background information necessary to understand the argument and smoothly transition into the thesis statement.
- State the thesis: Lay a solid foundation for your claim by stating your thesis statement.
Argumentative Essay Thesis Statement
The thesis statement is a concise, clear, and one sentence summary of the whole essay. It is the most important part of an argumentative essay because it established a foundation for your claim. It should be informative, engaging, arguable, and valid.
One of the ways of writing an argumentative thesis is to make a question out of your topic. Simply take your essay topic and turn it into a debatable question.
Argumentative Essay Body Paragraphs
The body paragraphs involve topic sentences and evidence, either against or supporting a certain point of view.
Here are three simple steps of crafting the body paragraphs:
- Topic sentence: Start each body paragraph with a topic sentence that defines only one specific idea and supports the main claim.
- Provide evidence: Provide as much supporting evidence as required to convince the reader. Remember! The argument has no value if it is not backed with proper and relevant evidence from credible sources.
- Concluding remarks: End the paragraph with a concluding remark and smoothly transitioned to the next body paragraph.
Using Counter Arguments
This counter-argument paragraph contains the opposing point of view that a reader may pose against your main argument. This paragraph aims to prove that the opposing side is wrong by providing facts and evidence.
Below are the four steps to craft a counter-argument paragraph:
- State the counter-arguments: Present all the counter-arguments one by one.
- State your response: Provide your response towards the counter-arguments.
- Refute the opposing claims: Refute the opposite claims, one by one, with facts and evidence..
- Conclusion: Conclude the paragraph by reasserting your main claim of the essay.
Argumentative Essay Conclusion
The conclusion needs to be logical and precise that inspires the reader to agree with your claim. It should provide the final stance about the argument, which tells that your side of the argument is right.
Here are the three steps to write an effective argumentative essay conclusion:
- Summarize the argument: Sum up the entire essay and rewrite the thesis statement
- Stick to the plan: Don’t introduce any new argument here; just synthesize all the information presented in the body paragraph.
- Call to action: End your essay by providing a call to action.
Argumentative Essay Graphic Organizer
Argumentative Essay Example
Sample essays play a vital role in understanding the structure of an essay. Here are argumentative essay examples to help you understand the structure of an argumentative essay:
Argumentative Essay Template (PDF)
Argumentative Essay Sample (PDF)
Argumentative Essay Writing Tips
In order to merit an A+ grade for your essay, you should follow the basic set of guidelines.
Use the 5 Argumentative Claim
Before you start writing, decide the type of argument that you want to make with your essay. Here are the five types of argumentative claims:
- Fact: Whether the argument is true or false?
- Definition: What the argument actually means?
- Value: How important is the argument?
- Cause and effect: What causes the problem, and what are its implications?
- Policy: What should the reader do about it?
Choose A Debatable and Defendable Topic
Always choose a topic that you are passionate and knowledgeable about. Also, aim for topics that are current and trending. However, make sure to stay clear from emotionally charged issues like race, religion, sport, and politics.
Hire A Professional Argumentative Essay Writer
You can hire an argumentative essay writer from MyPerfectWords.com to help you write your essay.
Our writers are highly qualified, competent, and experienced in essay writing. We research and write every essay from scratch, ensuring they contain zero plagiarism.
MyPerfectWords.com is committed to providing you the best writing service. Simply place your order now, and we will be in touch immediately.