How to Write a Synopsis – A Simple Format & Guide
A synopsis is a summary that gives audiences an idea of what a composition is about. The information that you write in the synopsis depends on your purpose of writing.
Writing a synopsis is not an easy feat. Putting down the entire immersive manuscript into one page requires proper planning and time.
Therefore, here is a detailed guide on how to write a synopsis for an assignment for your help. Continue reading this blog and get an idea of the perfect synopsis.
What is Synopsis?
Writing a bio about yourself means that you are drafting a personal bio. A personal biography is a summary of your professional accomplishments and education that highlights your personality.
The synopsis’s main purpose is to compel a reader, agent, or publisher to read more. It is important to write a synopsis to cover the main conflict and resolution of the story.
Moreover, a synopsis is an in-depth summary that includes the following elements:
- Tell the reader what your plot is
- Identify the main characters
- Share an ending that feels satisfying
- Demonstrate your voice
After you have written a screenplay, novel, or other work, the synopses are normally submitted to publishers or agents. They will use the synopsis to find out the marketability of your book.
A synopsis is a common assignment for middle and high school students, in which they familiarise the reader with the plot of the book. Moreover, it can be written for all kinds of assignments, such as fiction or non-fiction books, academic papers, articles, journals, etc.
Parts of a Synopsis
Writing a synopsis is to inform the reader, a potential agent or publisher of the book type. It consists of three parts:
- 1. Characters: The main and secondary characters build the foundation of your story. Therefore, make them strong and memorable from the outset.
- 2. Conflict: It is the main part that the audience reads. Include a short description of the primary conflict in your synopsis.
- 3. Narrative Arc: From start to end, the narrative arc is the main framework of your plot. However, the main plot should be multilayer for the synopsis.
Therefore, these parts can make your synopsis strong and powerful.
Formatting a Synopsis
The format of a synopsis is simple and not difficult for the writers. Here is a format that every writer should follow.
|Line Spacing||Single spaced|
|Word Count||500 – 800 words|
|Language||Use clear and neutral language|
|Character Names||Write in bold and capital form|
|Font||12 pt. and Times New Roman|
However, you should consult the agent or publisher and ask them for formatting guidelines.
How to Write a Synopsis?
Writing a synopsis is not a difficult task if you follow the correct procedure. A good synopsis requires proper planning and preparation.
The following are the steps involved in writing synopses effectively:
Create a List of Main Characters
Before you start writing the synopsis, create a list of the main characters. However, make sure that each character is unique and dynamic, rather than flat. Also, each character should impact the story in a significant way.
Start with the Major Plot Points
The literary agent or publisher wants to be aware of the story's major plot points. Therefore, in this step, you will create a list of major plot points, including:
- Inciting Incident: It will show the central conflict of the story.
- Rising Action: It should describe what happens in the interval between the inciting incident and the climax.
- Climax: It is the most exciting part of your book synopsis, so don’t forget to add them.
- Resolution: It is the end of the story that brings the plot twists and narrative arc together
Include Character Motivation
In this step, emphasize the character motivations instead of getting in-depth into characterization. Also, write the synopsis in the third person and present tense. It engages the reader and allows the story to be told smoothly.
Identify what’s Unique
Uniqueness is key to a good synopsis. The publishers and agents read hundreds or thousands of synopses. Therefore, try to figure out what is unique in your story. Use different approaches and make your synopsis interesting and different.
Besides, you have to know that your story has an interesting point of view, a unique twist, and a story fulfilling your reader’s needs. These points will help you to grab the reader’s attention easily.
Create the Synopsis Outline
Create the synopsis outline and start your writing phase. An outline helps to shape your ideas or thoughts. The synopsis outline contains three parts:
1. Write the Introduction
Start the synopsis with an introduction and introduce the main characters. The first paragraph starts with an attention-grabbing hook statement.
Besides, summarise the main events of the plot. Avoid writing subplots and any backstories in the introductory paragraph. However, focus on the main storyline.
2. Write the Body Paragraphs
In the synopsis body paragraphs, include only necessary information. You will write what the character does, feel, and confronts. However, avoid writing irrelevant details and dialogues. Instead, just summarise what the characters said.
3. Write the Conclusion
The conclusion reveals the climax of the story. Thus, write it engagingly and interestingly but never introduce new information in this section.
Polish the Synopsis
It is the last step in writing the synopsis. Reread it and remove all the grammatical, punctuation, and vocabulary mistakes. Make sure that it is free from all errors.
Also, check the synopsis format that matches the publisher’s guidelines. You can also ask your friends or colleagues to proofread your work. They will give you suggestions on what you have needed to change before submitting it to an agent or publisher.
Send Synopsis with Query Letter
The synopsis is a part of a proposal that includes a query letter or a sample of your written work. However, every agent or publisher has their guidelines, so read them before submission.
Have a look at these synopsis examples to get a better idea.
Synopsis Example for Movie
Synopsis Example for TV Show
Synopsis Example for Novel
Synopsis Example for Thesis
Tips for Writing the Perfect Synopsis
Below given are some expert tips that will help you in writing a great synopsis.
- Write synopsis in active voice and present tense
- Keep it clear and concise
- Present a unique point of view in your synopsis
- Don’t reveal your climax in the introductory paragraph
- Include the character’s feelings and emotions
- Keep the focus on your purpose
- Focus on clarity in your writing and avoid wordiness
- Share critical turning points
- Avoid writing unnecessary detail, description, or explanation
- Never prepare the submission package and sample chapters before completing the draft
- Get an idea from the short synopsis that is written at the back of the book
- Define your category that can be romance, love, interests, science fiction, and fantasy
Therefore, now you get a detailed guide on how to write a synopsis. If you are still confused and don’t have time to complete your synopsis on time, contact MyPerfectWords.com. We are the best essay writing service that offers high-quality services.
Our experienced essay writer easily writes your synopsis without any mistakes. They understand your requirements and create a great synopsis to impress your readers.
So, place your order now and get your synopsis on time.