Top 100+ Descriptive Essay Topics & Ideas
A descriptive essay makes a reader feel, see, smell, and listen through the sensory description. Descriptive essays are the easiest type of essay as it gives the freedom of choosing expressions. Here we have listed some amazing descriptive essay topic ideas to sprout some flowery language.
Our list of descriptive topic ideas is categorized for academic levels and specifically designed to spark creative thinking. Check out our list of topics and choose the one that will work best for you.
Table of Contents
- Descriptive Essay Topics
- Descriptive Essay About a Place
- Descriptive Essay About a Person
- Descriptive Essay About a Memory
- Descriptive Essay About an Object
- Narrative Descriptive Essay
- Easy Descriptive Essay Topics
- Good Descriptive Essay Topics
- Best Descriptive Essay Topics
- Interesting Descriptive Essay Topics
- Descriptive Essay Topics for High School Students
- Descriptive Essay Topics for College Students
- Descriptive Essay - Do’s And Don’ts
Descriptive Essay Topics
A descriptive essay is the most expressive type of essay which allows you to write about anything. You have the freedom to choose the means of expression while you can describe anything.
To write a creative as well as an exceptional descriptive essay, you need to have a fantastic topic idea. There are a number of topics to choose from when writing a descriptive essay. The choices are vast, and you can choose to write on any subject, including an object, person, place, or thing.
Your descriptive essay could be on any topic.
Here we have listed some fabulous descriptive essay ideas for you to choose the one that works best for you.
Descriptive Essay About a Place
The following ideas will help you to write a good descriptive essay about a place.
- Tell us about your favorite toy shop and describe the type of toys that you can buy there.
- Describe your favorite vacation place
- Describe your grandma’s house
- Describe a haunted place
- Describe a place you would love to go every year
- Describe a place you have visited in summer vacations
- Describe a place you never want to visit again
- Describe your favorite coffee shop
- Describe a secret place where you go every time you need some time alone
- Describe a place that only exists in your imagination
Descriptive Essay About a Person
A descriptive essay about a person creates an image of the person. It gives a complete picture of a persons’ looks, emotional state, expressions, good or bad habits, and overall demeanor.
The following descriptive essay topic ideas about a person will help you get an engaging topic for your descriptive essay.
- Describe the physical features of your favorite person
- Describe your favorite celebrity for the class.
- Describe your best friend
- Describe your favorite teacher
- Describe your mother
- Describe the love of your life
- Describe a person who you hate the most
- Describe a person who inspires you
- Describe a person who you always look up to whenever you get into a trouble
- Describe a person whom you never want to meet again
Descriptive Essay About a Memory
Writing about your memories is one of the most creative tasks when it comes to writing descriptive essays. Here are some of the descriptive essay examples about memory, to help you identify topics regarding experience from this genre.
- Write about the concert you recently attended and how you felt about it.
- Describe the oldest memory from your childhood
- Write about a day when something funny happened
- Describe the worst day of your life
- How do you feel about childhood
- Describe the best day of your life so far
- How was your (brother’s/ sister’s/ cousin’s/ friend’s) wedding
- Describe the best day at school
- Tell us about the farewell party at school
- Describe a day when you have felt the most excited
Descriptive Essay About an Object
Writing an essay about an object is one of the most common themes of descriptive essay writing. It usually describes the object with comparisons and other details to help perceive the image of that object.
The descriptive essay topics ideas about an object are listed below;
- Write about your favorite dress.
- What is the most important thing in your room, and why is it the most important?
- Describe a thing that reminds you of someone special
- Describe your dream home
- Write about a piece of furniture that is in your house for a long period of time
- Describe a piece of art hanging in your dining room
- Describe a piece of object you are most attached with
- What features does a modern-day tablet carry?
- Describe a toy in your own words
- What does your new car look like
Narrative Descriptive Essay
The narrative descriptive essay is different from your ordinary descriptive essays. It involves a first-person narrative of a story.
- My first fashion show
- How hard work lead me to success
- My first attempt at baking
- How my usual day looks like
- When I visited my friend across the border
- My favorite movie character
- My favorite book author
- My last day at school
- My 18th birthday bash
- My favorite hobby
Easy Descriptive Essay Topics
- Describe the first time you rode a bicycle
- Describe your grandfather’s favorite chair
- Write about your wardrobe.
- Describe the clock hanging on your kitchen’s wall
- Describe your pet
- Describe your favorite toy from childhood
- Describe the scariest memory of your childhood
- Describe the day you met your best friend after years
- Describe your favorite restaurant
- Write about the day when you first time saw the movie at the cinema.
Good Descriptive Essay Topics
- Describe the most horrible nightmare
- Describe a place which you believe is the most beautiful place on the earth
- Write about your tour to Disneyland
- Describe the days you have failed at something
- Write about your major accomplishments
- When was the last time to laugh so hard
- Your favorite holiday destination place
- Describe your favorite fishing spot
- Most amazing places in Europe
- Top 10 incredible destinations in Asia
Best Descriptive Essay Topics
- Describe the day you enjoyed the most at your friend’s place
- Write about an amazing long-drive experience.
- How was your experience of swimming in the Atlantic ocean?
- What are the things that make you feel happy
- Who’s your worst enemy, and why?
- Describe a mysterious stranger in the crowd
- The most embarrassing moment of your life
- Write about something amazing you did for a stranger
- How was your experience of eagles hunting?
- Describe your dream house that you wanted to build for your mother
Interesting Descriptive Essay Topics
- Describe your favorite aspect of someone you love the most (eyes, hair, smile, or anything)
- Write about the first full moon of the year.
- Describe a place in your house that you have designed for your pets
- Describe the wonders of people's republic of china
- The most exciting cruise that you have experienced so far
- Describe your first experience of bungee jumping
- Write about your last visit to Paris.
- Write about a space journey that you took in your imaginations.
- Describe the beauty of the starry sky
- Write about the things that you thought an astronaut could see from the space stations.
Descriptive Essay Topics for High School Students
- Imagine a Himalayan expedition and write what you felt about it.
- Iceland - another world
- My first foreign friend
- My dream career
- The book I love the most
- My first encounter with social networking sites
- Describe your most favorite sibling
- Write about your favorite day at school
- Describe your favorite professor
- Describe your classroom
Descriptive Essay Topics for College Students
- In the heart of Africa
- Write about the kong of Europe - the Napoleon
- Describe a scene of a warm winter evening from your childhood
- Write about the Christmas you have spent in your grandma’s house
- Describe a person you have never met but in your imaginations
- Describe a place that you have always dreamed about but does not exist in real life
- Write about an actor you admire a lot
- Write about your dream car that you want to buy from your own money
- A dance at the college’s welcome party
- A beautiful tree on my way to market
Descriptive Essay - Do’s And Don’ts
Now that you have a list of amazing topic ideas, you might be looking for tips that help you write an amazing essay. Here are some essential things that you should keep in mind while writing a descriptive essay.
- Brainstorm for unique and creative ideas.
- Craft a descriptive essay outline. It will help you organize your details and information.
- Use the transition words to make your descriptions logically flow from one paragraph to another.
- Use simple and easy words that create an image for the reader.
- To make your descriptions more vivid, use comparisons. For example, if you are describing an object, focus on what its shape and color remind you of.
- Use your emotions and analyze what you feel about the described object, place, or person.
- Engage the reader’s sense by providing sensory details in the body paragraphs.
- Read several descriptive essay examples. They will help you understand how to keep the reader engaged in your essay.
- Make use of a variety of techniques to express your thoughts effectively. Build your ideas into a number of subjective clauses and compound sentences.
- Do not deviate from your topic. Keep focused and close to the main idea. Stay organized and provide a rationale description for the reader.
- Don’t start all of your sentences in the same way as it will make your essay boring. Indulge some creativity in your sentences.
- Don’t forget to proofread your essay
Do you need help with your descriptive essay from a descriptive essay writer?
Feel free to contact us anytime as we are available to help you 24/7. MyPerfectWords.com is the best cheap essay writing service that provides high-quality essays at affordable prices.