Best Compare And Contrast Essay Examples
A compare and contrast essay is a common form of academic writing. This essay is based on portraying similarities and differences between the two chosen subjects. A compare and contrast essay is often assigned to students to assess their writing and analyzing skills.
In our day-to-day life, we compare things and our needs to come up with a decision. Writing an essay on this comparison is not different. Only that, it involves a proper structure and an outline to be professionally drafted.
This article carries examples and samples to make the lives of students simpler. Continue reading to learn how to write a compare and contrast essay with examples.
Compare And Contrast Essay Examples
Drafting a perfect writing piece demands a writer to first go through examples and samples to analyze the writing structure. Once you know how ideal compare and contrast essays are drafted, it will be easier to provide quality content.
Below are some examples of compare and contrast essays for different levels.
Compare And Contrast Essay Example for Middle School
The compare and contrast essays at the middle schools are of an elementary level. They follow the same basic outline and the writing process. An example of a good compare and contrast essay is given below.
- Middle School Comparative Essay Example (PDF)
Compare And Contrast Essay Example for High School
The high school essay is different from the college compare and contrast essay. It does not require that expert level of logical analysis from the students. Instead, it is just an opportunity for them to learn better.
The following is the best sample for high school compare and contrast essay:
- High School Comparative Essay Example (PDF)
Compare And Contrast Essay Example for College
The college compare and contrast essay’s primary purpose is to enable the students to focus on logical comparison and contrasting aspects of life. The example provided below will help college students to draft a perfect compare and contrast essay.
- College Comparative Essay Example (PDF)
How to Start a Compare and Contrast Essay?
Writing a perfect compare and contrast essay depends on how strong the planning and execution are. When you are assigned a compare and contrast essay, it is not preferred to start writing it right away.
Focus on the prewriting steps that include planning and outlining of the information to make the essay readable. Below are the pre-writing steps that should be taken to start your compare and contrast essay:
- Select a topic -> To choose subjects to compare, make sure that they belong to the same category, and have some similarities to be compared. Choosing compare and contrast essay topics can be time-consuming, but it is an essential step in drafting an essay.
- Brainstorm ideas - Brainstorm similarities and differences you think can be used to make the comparison best. To make the brainstorming process easy, create a table or Venn Diagram to list similarities and differences.
- Research and gather information - Brainstormed ideas need strong facts to be proved right. Conduct research to gather evidence and facts to support your points.
- Develop a thesis statement - Analyze the gathered information to form a claim or argument.
- Draft an outline - No matter what the subject or type of the essay is, an outline is essential. Organize all the gathered material in the following sections before writing your essay:
- Body Paragraphs
How to Write a Compare and Contrast Essay?
According to the basic compare and contrast essay outline, it is started with an introductory paragraph, followed by body graphs, and a concluding section at the end of the essay.
An engaging introduction helps attract the audience’s attention and motivate them to read the entire essay. A catchy introduction has the following elements:
- Hook statement - It is an opening sentence written to attract the audience towards your discussion.
- General information about the topic- general information describes the purpose of choosing a topic or subject.
- Thesis statement - A thesis statement or the writer’s main argument is presented at the end of the introductory section.
For example, an introduction to elementary school vs. middle school can be:
“What is it like to transition from elementary to middle school? That is a question many kids ask each year. Having experienced both, I can tell you that there are plenty of similarities as well as some very big differences between the two types of schools.”
The body section of an essay includes every critical information that is to be shared with the audience. All the points made in this section are presented to prove the thesis statement and provide details about the subject.
The body paragraphs of a compare and contrast essay are structured according to two methods:
- Subject by subject
- Point by point
Subject By Subject
The subject by subject or block method is the most commonly used structure for a comparison essay.
This subject structure focuses on:
- Discussing the similarities and differences between one side of the topic.
- Discussing the similarities and differences between the other side of the topic.
- Subject By Subject Method Example (PDF)
Point By Point
Another typical structure followed for writing the compare and contrast essays is the point by point structure, which is easier and more popular.
The point structure focuses on:
- Discussing the comparison/ similarities between the two sides/ topics in the first part.
- Discussing the contrast/ differences between the two sides/ topic in the second part.
No matter which method you choose to draft your body paragraphs, it is important to keep in mind that the whole essay should be aligned according to the selected method.
“Elementary schools and middle schools have many traits in common. Typically, both are open five days a week for a set number of hours each day. Students sit at desks in classrooms and are expected to listen to and learn from their teachers. There is a set time for lunch. Each day, students are given homework assignments. Students take quizzes and tests. In all of these ways, middle school should feel somewhat familiar to new students.
However, there are some big changes that new middle school students should be aware of. In elementary school, students usually stay in the same classroom with one teacher for most of the day. That is not the case in middle school, where students typically have a different teacher for each subject. Students must move to a different classroom for each subject too. Since there is not one classroom in which to store supplies, middle schools often provide students with lockers. For many kids, getting a locker is a welcome rite of passage.”
In this section, a writer gives a summary of all the major points of the essay and presents the final verdict to prove the thesis statement.
“Making the move from elementary school to middle school may seem scary, but knowing what to expect can really help. Elementary school provides kids with the experiences they need to be ready for middle school. Even though moving on means adjusting to a new environment, some things, including many of the classmates who accompany you, will remain the same.”
After completing the essay, revision is done to fix all mistakes and errors in the content. Proofreading is an important step to make your paper flawless and effective.
Before submitting your essay, check for mistakes in punctuation, grammar, format, tone, vocabulary, syntax, etc. Make the required editings in this step and submit a well-written assignment.
Students from every level and field require examples to learn how their academic assignments should be drafted. As the grades cannot be risked, students should always look for examples and expert help for their assignments.
If you are looking for free examples for your compare and contrast paper, MyPerfectWords.com is the right place. MyPerfectWords.com is an essay writing service that assists with all academic assignment types.
MyPerfectWords.com is a trusted and reputable company that provides legal essay writing services by drafting original content for our clients.
So whether you are looking for written academic papers or essay topics for college, MyPerfectWords.com is the best choice.
Place your order and let your assignment be done by professionals.