Classification Essay Outline - A Step By Step Guide
A classification essay is a type of writing in which a writer categorizes or classifies objects, characters, events, and ideas. It is a common form of an academic paper assigned to high school and college students.
The purpose of assigning this essay is to analyze the student’s ability to understand and evaluate different characteristics of an object.
If you are assigned this essay type and do not know where to begin, start with drafting a classification essay outline. The outline will compose your ideas and will provide a structure for your essay.
Continue reading the blog to learn how a classification essay outline is drafted.
How to Write a Classification Essay Outline?
When writing for academics, your content must be properly structured and organized. The information that you gather needs to be arranged so that the readers completely understand the context.
Every type of essay or writing requires a proper representation of ideas and concepts to convince the audience. To properly present ideas, a writer drafts an outline.
The outlining of an essay is considered as the prewriting phase. The purpose of drafting an outline is to give your essay a logical flow and clarity of ideas in the content.
The basic essay outline that all essay types follow is the 5 paragraph structure. According to this, the essay is divided into the following sections:
- Body Paragraph 1
- Body Paragraph 2
- Body Paragraph 3
To develop an outline for a classification essay assignment, arrange all the information in different sections. The common sections include introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
Pick a topic from a list of classification essay topics. After gathering information on the chosen topic, organize the data in an understandable and logical manner, and start writing your essay.
How to Write a Classification Essay Introduction?
An introduction is the first section of a classification essay. In this section, the topic is introduced to the readers.
To make the audience read something, it is essential that the writing appeals to their interest. Only engaging writing will ensure maximum readership.
For this purpose, an exciting introduction is required. An introduction will motivate the readers to read the entire essay.
For an effective classification beginning, add the following information in the introductory paragraphs:
Hook - A hook is the first or the opening sentence of the introductory paragraph.
This statement is written to grab the reader’s attention to the essay. Depending
on the topic and the subject, a hook can take any form.
A hook can be a question, statistics, or just an interesting sentence that grab the reader’s interest in the writing.
- Subject - After writing a catchy hook, present the object or subject that is to be categorized. It is to make the audience familiar with the topic.
- Purpose - State the purpose of your writing to write a good essay. After giving away the idea of the subject, explain the intention of your essay.
- Thesis statement - At the end of your introduction, write a thesis statement. A thesis statement is the main argument or the writer’s claim over the subject.
The thesis statement for a classification essay identifies the groups and provides an explanation for each category developed.
How to Write Classification Essay Body Paragraphs?
Once you have prepared your introduction, write the body paragraphs. According to the basic structure, there are three body paragraphs. But you can increase or decrease the number according to the categories made.
Each body paragraph should start with a topic sentence to give an idea about the category to the readers. Also, the topic sentences help bring transition in the content.
The body paragraphs are drafted in the following way:
- Category - As a topic sentence of the body paragraph, state the category that is to be described. Explain the criteria for choosing the type for the subject.
- Explanation - Explain the category or classification. State the strengths and weaknesses and other essential details.
- Example - Close each body paragraph by providing an example that perfectly describes the category.
How to Write a Classification Essay Conclusion?
To give closure to the essay, a conclusion is drafted. The conclusion is the last section of the essay, where the writer sums up the discussion.
Keep in mind that all the paragraphs in the body section should lead the audience towards the conclusion.
The concluding paragraph of a classification essay is drafted by:
- Providing a summary - A summary of all the categories and the important ideas are presented in the first section of the conclusion. Also, a thesis statement is restated to remind the audience of the main stance.
- Providing recommendation - A classification essay conclusion also contains a recommendation or preference of one category over the other. Although this step is optional, provide a recommendation or a CTA (call-to-action)
Every section of the outline is equally important to make the essay effective. Don’t forget to clearly and explicitly present ideas and their explanations. This is to make sure that the content is readable and understandable for the readers.
Classification Essay Outline Template
Classification And Division Essay Example
Benefits of Creating a Classification Essay Outline
Students often doubt the importance of drafting an outline for their essays. Below is a list of benefits of developing an outline for your classification essay:
- Focus: An outline keeps the writer focused on presenting only the relevant and important information. It helps the writer stay on track and avoid letting him wander.
- Ensure smooth transition: An outline provides a smooth transition between the concepts in the content. When the writer organizes the information in an outline, it forms a logical structure.
- The correct order of the content: When you draft an outline, it makes sure that the order of the content is logical and accurate. A reader moves step by step in the writing if an outline is present.
- Concise writing: An outline lets a writer draft a concise piece of work. It ensures that the message delivered through the writing is clearly portrayed.
- Organization: The basic benefit of drafting an outline is that it organizes all the raw thoughts and ideas in a structured manner.
Drafting an outline is the first and the initial thing when assigned any type of assignment. It acts as a checklist for the writer to ensure that no vital information is missing in the content. If the outline and structure of the essay are accurate, the essay’s success is guaranteed.
Coming up with an outline for your essay can be challenging if the purpose is not explicit. It is extremely important to understand the purpose and objectives of the essay. But you can always opt for professional guidance.
MyperfectWords.com is a customized writing service provider that aims to help students. Expert essay writers provide writing assistance and guidance to students for all their academic assignments.
If your deadline is approaching and you have tonnes of assignments due, seek help from MyPerfectWords.com. MyPerfectWords.com prides itself on providing original content for all types of assignments for all fields and levels.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a classification outline?
A classification essay outline is a type of writing where one or more items are organized into different categories to make an argument about them. You must organize those groups and give examples that fit with your point, as well.
What is classification writing?
Classification writing is the act of sorting and writing things into groups or categories on a single basis. This can be seen in classification essays. They are often used for organizing and grouping data by category so that it makes more sense when read as part of an overall essay.