College Application Essay - Easy Guide to Craft an Impressive Essay
Essay writing is a difficult task for most of the students. Therefore, they experience the most stress while writing a college essay. This type of essay is essential for your higher education and is mandatory while applying for a college.
It is also considered as an opportunity to showcase your competence, talent, and expertise. However, there are a number of steps that need to be taken to write such compelling essays. Similarly, a proper format and approach are required to grab the college admission officers’ attention.
On the other hand, if it's written incorrectly, it can ruin the chances of getting admission in your desired college. Read this blog to master the art of how to write a good college application essay.
- What Is A College Application Essay?
- How Long Should A College Application Essay Be?
- Types of College Application Essays
- College Application Essay Format
- How to Start A College Application Essay?
- How to Write A College Application Essay?
- College Application Essay Prompts
- Brainstorm Ideas
- College Application Essay Outline
- Writing The College Application Essay
- College Application Essay Tips
- How To End A College Application Essay?
- College Application Essay Topics
- College Application Essay Examples
- Get Help From An Expert College Essay Writer
What Is A College Application Essay?
A college application essay is also known as a personal statement or a statement of purpose. It is usually written by a student applying to a college, or a graduate school.
Such essays are an important part of the college admission process. It helps the admission committees to know about the applicant’s background, interest, and expertise.
The purpose of writing a college essay is to determine a student’s ability to support ideas with logical reasoning. Furthermore, it is also used to check the sentence structure and grammatical skills.
There are cases when the topics are not given by the college. For this, choose an event of your life, and explain it with in-depth details. Similarly, it is also better to focus on a single story that will project your interest, or talent to the reader.
Such types of essays are a little different from a typical essay. Keep in mind the following questions to understand the nature of college application essays.
- How will your essay convey the background and what makes it unique?
- If given the chance to present a true story, what will you share?
- Does the information sound authentic or forged?
- Why should this application be entertained in comparison to others?
How Long Should A College Application Essay Be?
There is no specific word limit to write a college application essay. However, a common length varies from 250 to 650 words. On the other hand, a broad topic can also exceed this word count.
Types of College Application Essays
Below are the three types of college application essays.
The ‘You’ Essay
It requires you to write an essay about yourself. Here, the admission officers want to know about the student’s personality. Similarly, it is a type of personal statement as the students reveal interesting facts about themselves.
The ‘Why Us’ Essay
The college asks students to write such essays to know about their goals and commitments to the institute. Similarly, it also tells them why a particular applicant wants to join the college.
However, be very careful while addressing the reasons. For this, it is better to conduct thorough research on the subject and the college beforehand.
The ‘Creative Essay’
A creative essay helps to evaluate a student’s ability to write and think creatively. Similarly, it provides them with a chance to share their viewpoints on a topic by adding creativity to it.
Here, a student will be graded based on his education, knowledge, and ability to present the case creatively.
College Application Essay Format
A college application essay format usually follows the below pattern.
Margins: Use a 1-inch margin on all sides.
Line Spacing: Use 1.5 or double line spacing.
Paragraphs: Indent the first line of each paragraph.
Fonts: Use a standard font like Times New Roman, Arial, or Calibri in 12-pt size.
Alignment: Use “left align.”
Citation style: MLA, APA, Chicago, or Harvard.
Every college has its own requirements for formatting an application essay. Some may also ask to include page numbers with a heading on each page. However, never include your name until you are requested to do so.
Refer to the given document for a better understanding of the essay’s format.
College Application Essay Format Example
How to Start a College Application Essay?
A good starting is key to make your college application essay stand out. Thus, it is essential to pay special attention to this section.
To start a college application essay perfectly, follow the tips given below.
The Full HemingtonWay
Start your essay with an image-based description that focuses on specific moments. It will help to clarify the dialogues, actions, or supporting details.
The Mini Hemingway
It also includes an image-based description of 1-3 sentences. It is used to explain, comment, or provide a context of the described event.
It requires the author to begin an essay with important information or a surprising fact.
The Philosophical Question
You can also start by asking a question. It will give you a chance to hook the reader by exploring possible answers or solutions.
Here, a writer begins an essay by admitting a fact that he might be judged for.
The Trailer Thesis
It comprises 1-2 sentences that give an idea of the main arguments included in the essay. Moreover, it usually comes at the end of the first paragraph.
The Fascinating Concept
You can also start with an unusual concept. It follows up with a description that explains where the concept comes from and why it is considered by the author.
The Random Personal Fun Fact
A writer can also start by stating a strange fact about himself to grab the audience’s attention.
The Shocking Image
You can also start by mentioning a shocking image and write a few sentences to discuss its importance.
How To Write A College Application Essay?
To write an exceptional college application essay, follow the easy steps below.
- College application essay prompts
- Brainstorm ideas
- College application essay outline
- Writing the college application essay
The steps to write an application essay are discussed below in detail.
College Application Essay Prompts
The first and foremost step is to read the instructions and understand the essay prompts. It may suggest two or more topic ideas that may be impersonal but are aimed at testing you.
Consider the below elements to comprehend the college application essay prompts
- What does the prompt actually seek? Is it directed to inform? Expand? Support? Defend?
- Relate the prompt to yourself and analyze how it can apply to you.
In case, colleges do not assign an essay topic, try to find a topic that you are passionate about. Also, think about memorable incidents, struggles, achievements, or failures that have affected your life.
Once you’re done with the prompt, brainstorm ideas to write a college essay. The purpose is to collect all the information and align it with your admission essay. Make sure that you do this before starting the writing process.
Below are the fundamental ingredients of the brainstorming process:
- Reflect on your life. You’ll find plenty of events to discuss in the admission essay.
- How would someone describe me? What are my weaknesses and strengths? What makes me stand out among others?
- Write down all the ideas that will engage the readers.
- Narrow down your options. Pick a concept that is most appropriate and according to the essay prompt.
- Incorporate enough details to showcase your abilities, extracurricular activities, achievements, and beliefs.
College Application Essay Outline
The next important step is to create an outline that divides the essay into different sections. A basic outline structure includes an introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion.
The following is a detailed description of each section.
College Application Essay Introduction
The introduction paragraph should start with a hook to engage the readers. It may include a contradictory statement, a thought-provoking question, or a confession.
Try to write in a style that reflects your personality. Tell the reader something about yourself. You can also challenge the reader by addressing them directly.
Furthermore, relate the topic or narrative to the subject knowledge. It will show your ability to use the gained knowledge for adding value to society.
Also, add a brief description of your academic skills and relate them to the course that you are applying to. However, make sure to keep this section narrow and focused.
College Application Essay Body Paragraphs
The body paragraphs should also provide detailed explanations and examples to show your ideas. Each paragraph should begin with a topic sentence that identifies what the section is about.
Be concise and use vivid images. As you aim to meet a limited word count, thus, make the most of it. Also, avoid using cliches and words like ‘I’ and ‘me’ too much. Instead, use simple vocabulary to convey the message clearly.
Moreover, you should also focus on adding a creative perspective.
College Application Essay Conclusion
The conclusion of the application essay will remain with the reader. Thus, try to begin and end the conclusion naturally.
Restate your thesis statement, and relate your closing statement to the opening one. Moreover, review the introduction to follow and use the same tone and theme in your conclusion.
Don't end your essay with a summarizing statement. Instead, discuss what you have learned from your experiences. Similarly, avoid adding stock phrases and quotations as they demonstrate a lack of creativity.
However, end your conclusion on a positive note. Do not forget to tell how your admission to the college can contribute to the college and the community. Lastly, leave your readers with an open-ended question or a final thought to ponder.
Have a look at the below-given outline template to get a detailed idea of writing one.
College Application Essay Outline Template
Writing The College Application Essay
After deciding an outline structure and format, start writing the essay. Try to keep the college application narrow and focused to reach the word count.
Start with the main idea and follow it from the start to the end. Never copy from any other source. Instead, state an original story and bring something new and unique.
Also, include all the supporting details required to back up the main arguments. You can also use humor if appropriate.
Edit and proofread your rough draft and eliminate all the grammatical errors. This is how you will be able to produce a flawless essay for getting into your desired college.
College Application Essay Tips
Here are some college application essay tips to write a perfect essay.
- Be an interesting version of yourself. Tell a story that feels personal and meaningful to you.
- Take enough time to put your ideas into the right words. Sequence the points logically by using an outline.
- The essay should be relevant and focused to make an impression on the admission officer.
- Write a killer opening sentence.
- Make sure your writing piece addresses the essay prompt.
- Ensure to answer the essay questions that you have been asked.
- Create a compelling setup to distinguish your application from other applicants.
- Never exceed the instructed word count.
- Do not copy or paste from other sources and share your knowledge of the college and subject.
- Admission officers are not interested in a list of accomplishments. Instead, they are seeking a personal narrative that carries the details.
- Write in a language that feels natural. Do not use poetic and comedian style to write a story.
- Leave your reader with food for thought to think about.
- A strong conclusion should tie up your essay that shows you are ready for college.
How To End A College Application Essay?
End your college application essay by identifying whether you have included all the elements in your essay. Here is a checklist for you to access your application by asking yourself the following questions.
- Have you provided original content and personal experiences in your essay?
- Does your essay meet all the instructions specified by the college you are applying to?
- Does it address the college essay prompts effectively?
- Does it mention your academic grades and accomplishments?
- Does it meet the required word count?
- Are there enough details to support the main ideas?
- Does it follow the correct college essay outline template?
- Does it mention your goals and commitments to the college?
- Does it include the reasons why you are the perfect choice among others to get the admission?
- Does it demonstrate your enthusiasm for attending your desired college?
- Does it include any references or recommendation letters from your teachers?
- Have you proofread your essay for punctuation, spelling, and grammar mistakes?
- Have you checked it for consistency and logical flow between paragraphs?
Keeping in mind these elements will help to end a college application essay successfully..
College Application Essay Topics
Have a quick look at the following excellent topics for your college application essay.
- Sports you cherish
- Clubs you belonged to
- Community services you performed
- Remarkable achievements
- Memorable experience
- Distinguished abilities (survival in wild, fluency in languages and culinary efficiency)
- Why do you want to take admission in your desired college?
- Describe a person you admire
- Describe a book your love
- A meaningful extracurricular activity
- A failure that affects your personality
- The biggest life goal
- An embarrassing moment
- A quote that describes you
- Describe something you are passionate about
- The best advice your grandmother gave you
- A memorable meal you had
- The historical background that sets you apart
- A tattoo that defines you
- A commitment you made with your parents
Get help from our compiled list of college application essay prompts to get more interesting ideas.
College Application Essay Examples
Check out the given college application process samples to write a perfect essay.
500 Words College Application Essay Example
Sample College Application Essay
Personal College Application Essay
Refer to our college application essay examples in case you need more samples.
Get Help From An Expert College Essay Writer
Writing a college application essay requires proper planning and consideration. We understand that it can be daunting as your entire career and future depend on it. Similarly, it also requires you to showcase yourself as the most deserving candidate to get admission.
Therefore, most students end up contacting a professional writing company to get done with this task. If you need a reliable college application essay service, MyPerfectWords.com is the right place for you. Get help from an expert college essay writer to create an error-free essay in no time.
Moreover, you will also be able to interact with the writer to track your work progress. Check out the essay samples and customer reviews on our website before choosing us. We assure you to provide quality supplemental essays, scholarship essays, and personal statements.