Understanding the key elements that makes a solid thesis statement is important for writing impressive research papers.
A thesis statement makes a claim that will guide the reader throughout the paper. If you are facing difficulty to make sense of your essay, it is most likely due to a poor thesis statement.
If you are the kind of person that looks at examples before starting writing, then explore our list of helpful thesis statement examples below so you can start writing your own.
Keep on reading the article until the end and know what it takes to come up with a solid thesis statement.
1. What Is A Thesis Statement?
A thesis statement is one sentence that aims to express the main idea of the research paper or any type of essay. It basically makes a claim that directly answers the question.
Whether you are writing an informative essay, analytical essay, argumentative essay, etc. you need a thesis statement. It typically goes in the first paragraph of the essay so that it can contribute to the rest of the paper.
The thesis statement should make an argument in a clear and precise way so that the readers can easily understand what the paper is all about.
It addition to easy to understand, it should be debatable. By debatable it means you can't just add any statement of fact you find online and have it to be yours. Write a thesis statement in a way that readers might agree or disagree with.
1.1 Key Elements of A Thesis Statement
To come up with a good thesis statement, the following points should be incorporated.
- The central idea of your paper
- Why you support that idea
- A counterargument (if there is one)
- Valid information to support your stance
Keep in mind the above points for writing a thesis statement that perfectly presents the point of view of your paper.
2. Thesis Statement Examples
Now you know what is a thesis statement and why it is important to have one in your research paper or essay. Here are some of the thesis statement examples to help make this task less daunting for you.
Please note that the below examples are only written to help you understand what a good thesis statement should look like. You should not use these examples as it is for your own research papers. However, you can take help and implement your own ideas into one that you find interest in.
2.1 Argumentative Thesis Statement Examples
- Though uniforms are meant to enhance unity and spirit, educational institutes should not force students to wear them. This idea is completely based on the fact that uniforms restrict the student's freedom of expression and it is specifically supported by the fact that restricting the freedom of expression is actually a violation of human rights.
- High school graduate students should take a year off to participate in community service projects in order to increase maturity and awareness before entering college.
2.2 Informative Speech Thesis Statement Examples
- Feminism was supposed to be used as a weapon for supporting equal rights, and not for proving that women are superior to men. In a literal sense, feminism is all about snatching equal rights, not about proving gender imbalance.
- Homework pressure can take childhood rights from the kids. Therefore, they should be given less homework to bring out their playfulness.
2.3 Compare And Contrast Thesis Statement Examples
- Although Vaughana Feary and Edmund Wall both consider harassment an unbidden statement, their ideas are not similar in several other points, which makes the scholars view cases of sexual harassment differently.
- While bears and bats appear to have not common at first glance, they are notably similar in their hibernation habits and species classifications.
2.4 Persuasive Essay Thesis Statement Examples
- Baseball is way more exciting, revitalizing, and captivating sport played between two opposing teams.
- Jelly and bean sandwiches are the best type of sandwiches because they are easy to make, handle, and taste good.
2.5 History Thesis Statement Examples
- There are many causes for world war 1, the main factor was the new definition of nationalism and a slight upward trend in the development of technology.
- The US clash with the Soviets was an important factor in the decision of Trump to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima.
2.6 Research Paper Thesis Statement Examples
- Exams are not a productive way to evaluate the knowledge and skills of students. There should be an alternative way to measure the student's abilities by banning exams.
- The government should not have access to the information that we share online and should not be able to use it.
2.7 Personal Narrative Thesis Statement Examples
- Though the idea of studying abroad seems a costly option, the experience to interact with other cultures and different learning approaches are worth it.
- There is nothing wrong with who chooses not to have children and society has to understand that. It is not about other's beliefs but her time and life that are at stake.
2.8 Expository Thesis Statement Examples
- The life of a typical high school student is distinguished by time studying, attending classes, and participating in other peer activities.
- The US spends more time on its military budget than all the other industrialized countries combined.
2.9 Literary Analysis Thesis Statement Examples
- In ‘Paul's Case' written by Willa Cather, a portrayal of suicidal behaviors among adults are possible factors are characterized that might have identified and remedied.
- The details of ‘The Story of an Hour' points out how language, institution, and appearance can suppress the natural desire and ambitions of women.
2.10 Cause And Effect Thesis Statement Examples
- The increasing rates of divorces are the result of poor communication, changing social values, and unrealistic expectations.
- Coal miners whose jobs are vanishing should be retrained in other fields such as in the sector of technology and in renewable energy. This will not only improve local economies but also lead to lower unemployment rates.
2.11 Rhetorical Analysis Thesis Statement Examples
- The author has successfully developed an argument in favor of a gun carry, but focused on emotional appeal with no factual information that has weakened his argument.
- Although Alex includes several convincing logical arguments by using facts, readers may not agree with the presented analysis because of his sarcastic tone.
To conclude, keep in mind that a strong thesis statement is the one that should be specific. Write your thesis statement again and again until you end up with a perfect one.
Need help with your thesis statement?
Composing a great thesis statement does take a bit more time and effort as compared to other parts of an essay. However, it contains an entire argument in one sentence, it is worth taking the extra time and effort to compose this sentence.
If you are still not sure how to craft a solid statement, ask for help to ensure you are on the right track. You can always contact us at MyPerfectWords and buy cheap research papers written by our professional writers.
Why wait? Place your order right now!