Bothered by the upcoming persuasive speech project ?
Struggling to find persuasive speech topics that will leave a strong impression on your audience?
Stop worrying and get going!
Explore this blog to learn the peculiarities of good persuasive speech topics and pick a topic for your competition, or project.
1. What are Good Persuasive Speech Topics?
Wondering what are good persuasive speech topics?
Do not worry, it is not as difficult as you think.
Just keep reading this blog and you will get the answers to all of your queries and concerns.
1.1 Catches your Interest
One of the most important qualities of a good persuasive speech topic is that, it instantly catches your interest.
In other words, you can say that a topic is good enough to make a speech on, if it instantly catches your attention. However, it isn’t necessary that the topic of your interest is also suitable for your speech. Sometimes, we choose things, or topics in this case, that are either too easy or too complicated to actually work on it.
Be realistic and do the necessary research before settling with a specific topic.
Just narrow down your interest list and pick the topic that has good scope for research, argument and discussion.
Though it is important to use the topic of your interest in the speech because you will not be able to persuade your audience about the topic to which you do not agree with yourself. But, it is also important that you choose the topic sensibly and enough to be used in the speech.
1.2 Appeals the Audience
Another important quality of good persuasive speech topics is that they appeal to the audience.
So, when you are selecting a topic, make sure to keep your audience in mind.
If you talk about political and government affairs in front of the elementary school kids, they will not be able to understand it and chances are that all your hard work will go down the drain.
They will be least interested in the speech, therefore, you will not be able to persuade them, thus failing the purpose of your speech.
On the other hand, if you talk about funny and interesting topics of their interest, the same audience will be involved with you and show greater interest.
Never ignore your audience if you don’t want your hard work to go to waste.
Keep in mind their interest and level of understanding, when picking the topic .
For example, college students would be highly interested in topics related to government, laws and even technology.
So, be wise and attentive while selecting the topic.
1.3 Unique and Not Some Hundred Times Repeated Topic
Another important aspect of topics that makes them good persuasive speech topics is that they are not some generic or repetitive type of topics.
There are some topics which are in discussion for over a decade, and probably will be in discussion for another decade or so
They have become old enough that there is nothing to talk about in it.
For example, the topic of legalizing abortion has been in debate for years.
The opinions of both supporters and opponents of the topic are now at the fingertips of the society, which has obviously lost interest in it.
You should not pick any such topic, until and unless you have a clear point in mind,which has been ignored earlier.
Even in that case, make your point clear to the audience as soon as possible, and as much as possible, in order to keep their interest and not let them think that it is the same old rant of some sort.
There are a number of other recent and interesting topics, which you can always use as your persuasive speech topic, do not just settle for some ‘same old story’, explore the possibilities.
1.4 Matches your Credibility
Another important point that makes some topics, good persuasive speech topics, is that they match your credibility.
For example, if a scientist talks about the topics of science and technology, that definitely counts as a good attempt.
Though students cannot show their credibility by their profession, so their interest and field of study also counts as their credibility.
In addition to it, credibility also means that the information and knowledge, used to persuade the audience, is true and not just some made up story.
Honesty counts and you should be honest to yourself and your audience by not making them believe the manipulated opinions or false information.
1.5 Suits the Demand
The last and the most important point which ensures that the topic is good for your persuasive speech is that it suits the demand.
For example, if you have to present a persuasive speech on sports days, you cannot talk about the topics of science and technology.
It is suitable to talk about sports persuasive speech topics only, to get the attention of your audience and persuade them according to the suitability of the occasion.
Keep these basic points in mind while selecting your topics; these are your first steps towards success.
2. Good Persuasive Speech Topics
We are perfectly aware of the pressure you face while contemplating your topics.
To help and guide you towards success, we have prepared the lists of some good persuasive speech topics.
Keeping in view the interests of the students, as well as the preferences of the audience, we have categorized the topics according to fields and subject matter.
You can select any topic from these hundred and ten topics, according to your will or the guidelines shared by your instructor.
Best of luck!
2.1 Persuasive Speech Topics for College
- College education should be free for students belonging to poor families.
- Mass shootings can never be justified by psychological issues.
- Following one’s suitability and comfort level is more important than following fashion.
- Bragging about expensive possessions depicts immorality.
- The tax rate should be double for rich people.
- College students should be regularly provided with mental health counselling.
- Classrooms should have background music to let the students better focus on learning.
- Sportsmen taking drugs to improve performance should be banned immediately.
- Mobile phones should not be allowed in classrooms.
- People should not be allowed to change their names after high school.
2.2 Persuasive Speech Topics for High School
- Exchange programs make the students more appreciative towards the world and different communities.
- Working part-time on weekends should be compulsory for teenagers.
- Introverts are the best motivational speakers.
- Modern youth has developed addictive personalities.
- The religious discussion should not be allowed in schools.
- Students should learn at least three different languages.
- Fast food is not always unhealthy.
- Money cannot ensure happiness.
- Positive thinking makes life easier and happier.
- Violent video games should be banned.
2.3 Persuasive Speech Topics 2018
- Nuclear disarmament is necessary to restore world peace.
- Salaries of single parents should be higher than other employees.
- Cyberbullying is the major cause of suicide among youngsters.
- Stalkers and paparazzi should be sentenced to life in prison.
- Genetically modified food products are less nutritious than natural products.
- High heels have negative health effects.
- Abortion deteriorates the health of women.
- Everyone should donate blood at least once a year.
- Media should not promote beauty standards.
- Foster parent homes should be regularly inspected.
2.4 Persuasive Speech Topics 2017
- School or college bullies should be rusticated immediately.
- Coeducation makes students more competitive.
- Patrol police should always carry loaded weapons.
- Graffiti is the art of the future.
- A helmet is necessary for bike riders.
- Homosexuals should have separate educational institutes.
- Interns should always be paid for their work.
- Online teaching is not as constructive as regular teaching.
- Taming wild animals is unethical.
- Charity is used as the source of converting black money into white money.
2.5 Interesting Persuasive Speech Topics
- Energy drinks are far away from providing energy.
- Watching television is more beneficial than reading books.
- Health benefits and transport facility should be free for senior citizens.
- Me time is necessary to self heal and restore energy.
- Confidence is the key to success.
- Urban life is more tiring and energy-consuming than rural life.
- Open-mindedness is the best coping mechanism.
- The first impression is never the last impression.
- Little conflicts strengthen and make relationships healthier.
- Credit cards should not be issued to people under 30.
2.6 Funny Persuasive Speech Topics
- Funny pick-up lines help in the development of a serious relationship.
- Endless memes can be made on my mother.
- Life is troublesome due to your horoscope.
- Girls are more interested in diamonds than makeup.
- Guys are more interested in sports than their girlfriends.
- You are not enjoying student life if you do not procrastinate.
- It is your major duty to annoy your parents.
- Life is useless without indulging in troubles without your friends.
- Guys are more interested in gossip than girls.
- Never add your parents on Facebook.
2.7 Sports Persuasive Speech Topics
- College players should be treated as professional players.
- Professional sports should be financed privately.
- Drug tests should be compulsory in all professional sports.
- Support crew should be considered sportspeople.
- Media and society are less interested in women sports.
- Cheerleaders cannot compare with professional players.
- Safety precautions for athletes should be upgraded.
- Team names should not reflect ethnic and cultural affiliations.
- Sports means depicting your limit and not winning or defeating.
- Professional female players get fewer opportunities for financial support than male players.
2.8 Health Persuasive Speech Topics
- The American healthcare system needs to be revolutionized.
- Fast food does more harm than good to the body of human beings.
- Consumption of salty and spicy food on a routine basis is harmful to health.
- Sex education saves teenagers from the issues of early pregnancy.
- Aborted fetuses should not be utilized for genetic research.
- Drug advertisements should be banned.
- Every human being should register as an organ donor.
- Human beings should not treat the sleep disorder with sleeping pills.
- College students should be trained to perform CPR.
- Sleepwalking should not be ignored but treated.
2.9 Technology Persuasive Speech Topics
- Human cloning is unethical.
- Food engineering can fight food insecurity.
- Self-driving cars are not reliable.
- Robots cannot replace human beings.
- Technology has isolated people instead of connecting them with each other.
- Technological advancement has decreased employment opportunities.
- Mobile phones can be used to intrude the privacy of individuals.
- Chips should be inserted in criminals to refrain them from violent behaviour.
- Digital currency should be accepted and promoted.
- Technology is making life tougher instead of easier.
2.10 Law and Politics Persuasive Speech Topics
- Detaining people on the suspicion of terrorism is justified.
- Military service should not be compulsory.
- Suicide attempt should be a punishable crime.
- Violent crime offenders should be sentenced to death.
- Illegal immigrants should be instantly deported.
- Foreigners should not be allowed to buy the property.
- Part time workers should have the legal right to claim annual paid leaves.
- Surveillance should not compromise the privacy of the citizens.
- Rapists and pedophiles should be hanged to death immediately.
- Burning sketches and flags during protests should be punished.
2.11 Controversial Persuasive Speech Topics
- Animal testing of drugs is necessary for ensuring the safety of humanity.
- Cosmetic surgery, being an unhealthy obsession, should be banned.
- Human behaviour is the product of society and not of nature.
- The death penalty is the only solution for controlling the crime rate in the society.
- The legal age of drinking, driving and voting should be set at eighteen years.
- Stereotypes about certain social and religious groups are unethical.
- Eating meat is not unethical.
- Using animal skin for raising products price is unethical.
- Abandoning parents to old age homes is immoral.
- Sex education should not be provided before the age of puberty.
Did you find a topic you are passionate about but don’t quite know how to go about writing the speech itself?
Don’t fret about it, leave your worries with MyPerfectWords and have our Exceptional writers craft an effective persuasive speech for you.