Essay Format: A Basic Guide With Examples
Writing essays is an important part of every student’s life. However, it is not just about to list down ideas in a linear manner.
Many institutions require a standard format that a paper of any kind must follow; examples are one of the basic formats such as MLA, APA, and Chicago.
In this article, you will be going to find out what is an essay format and what are the general guidelines in each format type to present the information in a more structured way.
The application of these formats could range from high school essays to college essays.
1. What Is Essay Format?
An essay format refers to a set of guidelines that decides how the elements of your paper should be arranged. The format guidelines cover the essay structure, title, citations, and the basic outline of the essay.
When formatting a paper, there are certain things that you need to pay attention to such as how to structure an essay, title page, text capitalization, citations, and a works cited page. The guidelines for the standard essay outline and format are as follows:
1.1 Basic Essay Outline
- Title or Cover Page
- Abstract (comprises of three paragraphs)
- Table of contents
- Research questions
- Main Arguments
- The conclusion
- Bibliography (Works Cited)
- Body of your essay (each paragraph includes a topic sentence and main arguments to support the thesis statement)
- Bibliography (Works Cited)
1.2 Standard Essay Format
- One inch margin on all sides of the page.
- Specific line spacing (e.g single spacing or double spacing).
- Page headers to contain information like the author’s last name or shortened title etc.
- Specific font style and size like New Times Roman 12pt.
- Heading and subheading (this structure usually differs in different formatting style requirements).
- Pages numbers that are usually included in the page headers.
- The indentation is usually half an inch.
2. Essay In MLA Format
MLA is the most commonly used format style used in the field of humanities. To craft an essay in MLA format, here are the basic guidelines that you are required to follow:
- Font should be New Times Roman 12pt.
- Double spacing throughout the paper and make sure there is no extra space between paragraphs.
- One inch margin on all sides of the paper.
- Last name and page numbers in the header of every page.
- An essay title should be centered.
- For the indentation press tab.
- List down the sources on the page entitled ‘Works Cited’.
2.1 MLA Format Essay Example
Writing a paper in MLA paper can be a daunting task if you don’t know the basic guidelines to follow throughout the paper. If you are wondering how to write an essay in MLA format. Here is a free MLA format example to help you better understand what to include in this specific format style.
MLA Format Essay Example (PDF)
3. Essay In APA Format
APA format is mostly used in scientific papers. Many behavioral and social sciences use this specific set of guidelines that stands for the American Psychological Association. The following are the guidelines used in APA format papers.
- Text style and size should be Times New Roman 12pt.
- Double spacing.
- One inch margin.
- Include a shortened title (at the top left) and page number (at the top right) in the header of every page.
- The title page should include the name of the author and institution affiliation, date and the name of the instructor.
- Citation are listed on the references page.
APA format is most commonly used in the social sciences fields. In a basic APA structure, we can apply a similar
3.1 APA Format Essay Example
Looking for an APA essay format example? Here is one to help you nail your next essay formatting to construct an essay worthy of A grade.
APA Format Essay Example (PDF)
4. Essay In Chicago Style Format
The Chicago style contains a set of comprehensive guidelines for formatting papers and essays. These are as follows:
- One inch margin on all sides of the paper
- Double spacing everywhere
- Text style should be Times New Roman 12pt
- Include the last and page number in the header of every page
- This format requires footnotes as well on the paraphrased or quoted passages.
- The bibliography of the Chicago style format is quite similar to the MLA format. List the information in alphabetical order on the page entitled ‘Bibliography’’.
4.1 Chicago Style Format Example
Are you facing a problem with your Chicago format paper? Your troubles will surely end if you go through this example and learn how to format a paper following a Chicago style.
Chicago Style Format Example (PDF)
Need Help In Formatting Your Paper?
Hopefully, this short guide helps you in understanding the various elements of a well-formatted paper. Follow this guideline to crafting good essays that are coherent and easy to read if you really want to score high. After formatting the paper, don’t forget to revise your paper to remove all the formatting mistakes. Make sure the paper complies with the correct format required by your institution.
If you are still confused and looking for more help to make sure your paper follows a correct format, you should contact our customer service agents at MyPerfectWords. Let our expert essay writer craft any type of paper e.g, essays, terms, and research papers, etc. in any format for you.