Speech Writing Tips from Professional Writers
Speech writing is an important skill with many perks for you, either you are a student or a professional.
Writing for public speaking is not as difficult as it seems; you only need to follow some basic tips and tricks to write a compelling speech. If you want to write a great speech that leaves a good impression on the audience, here is how you can do it.
What is Speech?
A speech is an effective medium to communicate your message. It is the way of communicating ideas and thoughts through talking.
Public speaking aims to convey your ideas logically and provide sufficient supporting evidence to back the idea.
What is Speech Writing?
Speech writing is the art of conveying a message to the audience through words. Speech writing isn't much different than essay writing. You need to understand your speech’s purpose, the required length or the time limit, and do the audience analysis.
Coming up with an effective speech can be nerve-racking as you have to engage the audience’s attention. But if you follow the basic guidelines and proper speech format, you can easily write a great speech that will leave the audience with something good to think about.
How to Write a Speech?
Generally, the steps to write a speech are similar to writing an essay or presentation. However, you need to keep in mind the audience, who you are specifically writing it for.
The speech is considered best if it is written to engage the audience and hold their attention from the start to the end.
Therefore, your speech must have something that can grab the audience's attention.
The start of the speech varies in different types of speeches, and it depends on the reason for which the speech is about.
For example, the informative speeches contain an introductory section that not only introduces the topic to the audience, but it also piques their interest.
It is a good idea to introduce yourself and the purpose of your speech at the start. Once you convey your speech’s basic idea to the audience, you can provide additional information.
Start the speech with a strong hook that not only compels the audience but also encourages them to listen to every single word you say. Establish your speech’s context and provide your main thesis that depicts the bigger idea of your speech.
There are no specific rules to follow when it comes to writing the body of a speech. But, there are some things that you should keep in mind while writing the body section.
The body paragraphs should follow a chronological order for the timeline events and present one piece of information at a time. This section should present the supporting elements in a simple way.
These paragraphs should follow a pattern of cause and effect. Incorporate the rhetorical strategies of ethos, pathos, and logos to convince your audience to believe you.
It is very important to end a speech that makes a good impression and leave the audience with some takeaways. Restate the main points of the speech and leave something for the audience to think about. Provide a call to action with a strong closing statement to help the audience remember the big ideas.
After writing your speech, it is important for you to practice. Read your speech aloud and check whether it sounds like a book reading or a real person talking. Practice your speech in front of the mirror or read your speech to a friend to make sure your speech sounds like a real person talking.
Types Of Speech Writing
There are many types of speeches, and they are combined into different categories. However, there are three basic categories of speech writing:
Speech Writing Format
It is important to write a good speech that your audience will remember in the long run. You have to organize your information correctly, and for that, a speech outline is the best way to do so.
A speech outline will not only save your time, but it will make sure that you are following the proper structure as well as format.
Following is an example of how you can craft an effective outline for your speech.
- 1) Prepare
- Choose the topic
- Know your audience and pay attention to their needs
- Define the purpose of the speech
- Organize the information
- 2) Introduction
- Think about a statement that can grab the attention of audience members
- Refine the thesis statement
- State something that can establish credibility
- 3) Body
- Introduction to body transition
- Provide your main idea along with the supporting statements
- Examples and additional information
- 4) Conclusion
- Summarize the speech and its main points
- Closing statement or call to action
Here we have attached a speech writing worksheet template to help you start the speech writing process.
Speech Writing Worksheet
This speech writing checklist template will help you follow the speech format and include all the information in your speech.
Speech Writing Checklist
Speech Writing Topics
The topic is the first and foremost thing that you need to write a speech. Here are some amazing speech writing topic ideas to help you get started.
Persuasive Speech Topics
- Drivers should avoid texting while driving.
- Women should be allowed to ride a bike.
- We need to stop eating junk food.
- Products made with tobacco should be banned.
- If celebrities and public figures break a law, they should receive stiffer penalties
Informative Speech Topics
- The benefits of herbs as medicine
- Different type of fishes
- How to drive a sports car
- The best marketing strategies
- How to be a persuasive speaker
Demonstration Speech Topics
- How to fix a flat tire
- How to bake a cake
- How to influence the audience
- How to lose weight fast and safely
- How to prepare for a job interview
Impromptu Speech Topics
- Effects of coronavirus
- What is to be like young and wild
- Why we should not lie
- Everything is fair in love and war.
- See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.
Entertaining Speech Topics
- The best joke I ever heard
- How I lied to my mother
- The funniest thing my dad did on a New Year’s eve
- How to get rejected on your first date
- “I'm breaking up with you,” sent to the wrong person.
Motivational Speech Topics
- “I’m proud of you my son” someday, my dad will say this to me
- Positive thinking boosts your self-confidence.
- It is perfectly fine for a boy to cry.
- Same-sex couples should be allowed to adopt a child
- I will make my parents proud
You must have decided on the topic for your speech until now. Let's learn how to write a great speech that the audience will remember for a long period of time.
Speech Writing Tips
Here are some important speech writing tips from experts to tell you what it takes to come up with an amazing speech.
- Avoid putting multiple ideas into your speech. Keep in mind that people only remember very little, so just give one to two main ideas that they will remember.
- Remember, you are writing a speech that people will hear, not writing an essay that people will read. Hence, the more conversational it will sound, the better it will be.
- You want your audience to believe that you know what you are talking about. So, it is important to do some quality research on your topic. It will reflect that you have a sound knowledge of your topic that you are giving a speech on.
Speech Writing Example
Before writing your own speech, it will be helpful if you take some time and read speech examples or even listen to some famous speeches to pick up things like body language, transitions, openings, and how strong the conclusions are.
Here is an example of a speech that you can surely refer to:
If you think you are good at speaking but not so good at writing and this thing bothers you a lot, then there is no harm in getting some help.
In that case, you can trust us to buy speeches on the topic of your interest. We at MyPerfectWords.com can save you from embarrassment by helping you write an outstanding speech.
Our professional writers can help you write a speech that will not only communicate your message effectively, but it will be good enough to grab the attention of your audience. So without wasting any more time, place your order now to buy a speech and let go of worry.